Child Death Overview Panel
Child Death Overview Panel
Since 1st April 2008, Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCB) have had a statutory responsibility to review all deaths of children from birth (excluding still born babies and planned terminations) up to 18 years, who are normally resident in their area. The duties of the LSCB regarding these processes are set out in Chapter 5 of Working Together to Safeguard Children (HM Government 2018).
The joint Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Child Death Overview Panel (including representatives from Social Care, Health, Police, Public Health and local Children’s Hospice) continues to monitor and review all child deaths on behalf of both LSCBs. Reviewing child deaths includes collecting information about the circumstances of the child’s death and family background, with the overall purpose to understand how and why children die, make recommendations to protect other children and to prevent future deaths. In the West Mercia area there will be two CDOPs (Shropshire/Telford and Wrekin and Herefordshire/Worcestershire) with a wider West Mercia approach to thematic discussions to consider learning from the independent reviews undertaken.
For sudden and unexpected deaths a co-ordinated, multi-agency Rapid Response is initiated to ensure safeguarding and public health issues are considered.
The two Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Accountable Officers and Chief Executive/ Managing Directors of the Local Authorities (LA) are as follows:
- David Stout, Accountable Officer, Shropshire CCG
- Clive Wright, Chief Executive/Managing Director, Shropshire LA
- David Evans, Accountable Officer, Telford & Wrekin CCG
- Richard Partington, Chief Executive/Managing Director, Telford & Wrekin LA
Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP) Team Contact Details
- Dr Sam Postings, Associate Specialist Paediatrician and Lead Doctor for The Child Death Overview Panel and Named Doctor for Safeguarding, Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust, The Stepping Stones Centre, Brunel Road, Malinslee, Telford, TF3 2BF - Tel : 01952 567300 (Stepping Stones Reception) - Email : Samj.firstname.lastname@example.org or Shropcom.CDOP@nhs.net
- Bea Jones - Nurse Specialist Child Death Reviews, Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust, Halesfield 6, Telford, TF7 4BF- Tel : 01952 580312 - Mobile : 07826 901962 - Email : Bernadette.Jones1@nhs.net or Shropcom.CDOP@nhs.net
- Sam Wheatley, Child Death Overview Panel Administrator and Secretary to Named Nurse and Nurse Specialist, Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust, Halesfield 6, Telford, TF7 4BF - Tel: 01952 580387 - Email : email@example.com or Shropcom.CDOP@nhs.net