Shropshire CCG advise use other more appropriate services for minor injuries and illnesses

20 July 2017 11:46am

The A&E Departments at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) and Princess Royal Hospital (PRH) in Telford have been very busy, in particular yesterday (Wednesday 19 July)

Shropshire CCG are advising people suffering from minor illness or injuries to use other more appropriate health services and allow the hospitals to focus on those people with serious conditions, who need to be seen urgently.

Alternative sources of care for non-critical ailments are:

  • Go to a local pharmacy – Pharmacists are experts in medicines and will use their clinical expertise, together with their practical knowledge to offer advice on common problems they can provide advice and treat a range of minor illnesses and conditions, such as coughs, colds, aches and pains.   Pharmacists can also help you decide whether you need to see a doctor.
  • NHS 111 – can provide medical help fast when it’s not a 999 emergency.  Call 111 for free from any phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and you can quickly access appropriate health information and advice
  • Minor Injuries Units (MIUs) – located around the county in Bridgnorth, Whitchurch, Ludlow, Oswestry, Welshpool and Newtown, MIUs can treat a range of minor conditions without the need to travel to an A&E department
  • GP Practices - You can also book urgent appointments at GP practices, often for the same day or if you are poorly out of normal working hours, you can call Shropdoc the GP Out-of-Hours service on 0333 222 66 55.

Remember: A&E is only for the most serious and life-threatening cases.