Pathways and Guidelines
Pathways and guidelines are listed alphabetically.
If you cannot find what you are looking for please send an email to email@example.com.
Process for AKI e-Alerts and summary actions for GPs:
The Autism including Asperger’s and ADHD Pathway is available here.
British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) provides 'Termination of Pregnancy Services (TOPS)' in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin.
- BPAS Shrewsbury - Radbrook Green Surgery, Bank Farm Road, Radbrook, Shrewsbury. SY3 6DU
Session times: Monday 09.00 - 16.30 and Tuesday 08.30 - 17.00
- BPAS Telford - Based in the Open Clinic Sexual Health Services, Bishton Court, Ironmasters Way, Telford. TF3 4JE
Session times: Wednesday 8.00 - 17.30
Call 03457 30 40 30 (open 24/7) - patients can self-refer
More information on can be found at www.bpas.org
- Atrial Fibrillation Pathway (August 2018)
- Heart Failure Pathway (August 2018)
- Hypertension Pathway (August 2018)
Prescribing guidelines for Management of COPD in Primary Care:
Diabetes (Type 2)
Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Patient Pathway for Initiating and Monitoring DMARDs in Rheumatology Service (June 2018)
- Shared care agreement – DMARDs
Please see the 'Shared care agreements' page for drug-specific shared care agreement documents
Information on how to access to Faecal Calprotectin Testing within Primary Care:
- Suspected IBDIBS Pathway (July 2018)
NHS Shropshire CCG has commissioned Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) to provide a Faecal Calprotectin testing service as part of a primary care pathway for adults presenting to their GP with lower gastrointestinal symptoms.
Immunisation and Vaccination Queries pathway
- Immunisation and Vaccination Queries pathway (December 2018)
Individual Funding Requests (IFR) Policy
- Please see our Commissioning Policies page for the Individual Funding Requests Policy and Individual Funding Requests Form.
To support good practice in referrals NHS Shropshire CCG has subscribed to the online access to Radiology Referral Guidelines (iRefer) from the Royal College of Radiologists.
The CCG has procured a number of concurrent licences for Primary Care colleagues to have online access to the guidelines. In addition the CCC agreed, in March of this year, that decisions concerning direct access referrals for Radiology and particular for MRI scans should be made in line with these guidelines.
Some technical connectivity issues have now been clarified so practices can now start using the guidelines as part of the referral process.
- An updated version of the process is available here
- Guidance on how to locate the correct guideline is available on the The Royal College of Radiologists (RCR) website
If you have any queries please contact the CCG Primary Care Team by email to SHRCCG.PrimaryCare@nhs.net.
Medicines Management Guidelines and Guidance
For any documents regarding Medicines Management Guidance or Policies refer to the Medicines Management pages
Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)
This is a free service to access if you are registered with a GP in Shropshire or Telford and Wrekin.
MECS (Minor Eye Conditions Service) is provided by Community Health and Eye Care Limited (CHEC).
Local accredited opticians can offer appointments if you need advice or treatment for a recent eye condition.
When to use MECS
Recent eye conditions that can be treated by the service include:
- Red eye
- Dry eye, gritty and uncomfortable eyes
- Irritation and inflammation of the eye
- Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring or sudden increase of flashes and floaters
- Painful eye
- Ingrowing eyelashes
- Recent and sudden reduced vision
- Something in your eye
How do I book an appointment with the service?
Participating opticians can offer appointments if you need advice or treatment for a recent eye condition.
You will be asked some questions about your symptoms, to assess how quickly you need to be seen by the service. Depending on your symptoms, you will be seen within one or two working days.
Appointments are available during normal working hours. Some opticians offer appointments at the weekend.
CHEC does not book appointments, but patients can ring CHEC on 01743 297027 or 01772 717167 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out where their nearest optometry practice is so that they can attend for the Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS).
You can use MECS if you are registered with a Shropshire or Telford and Wrekin GP.
- If your condition is more serious, the optician will book you an urgent appointment at a hospital eye clinic
- If you need a routine appointment with a hospital, the optician will make a referral for you
- If your eye condition is related to your general health, you may be advised to make an appointment with your GP
- If you need medication, you may be advised to contact your local pharmacist
For further information contact 01743 297027 or 01772 717167.
Musculoskeletal (MSK) Pathways
The following Musculoskeletal (MSK) Pathways are available:
- Carpal Tunnel Pathway
- Foot and Ankle and Shoulder Pathway (December 2014)
- Hip Pathway (Feb 2018)
- Knee Pathway (Feb 2018)
- Mechanical-Spine-LBP (January 2014)
- Physiotherapy (MSK) Referral Pathway (October 2018)
- Spine RJAH Referral Guide (January 2014)
- See also: Muscles, Joints and Bones (Musculoskeletal MSK)
NHSE High Impact Interventions: Elective Care - MSK Triage:
Changes to the pathway for orthopaedic referrals
From 1st April 2018, all routine orthopaedic referrals should be sent via NHS Shropshire CCGs Referral Assessment Service (RAS). They will be reviewed and triaged by the Shropshire Orthopaedic Outreach Service (SOOS). For more information please see here.
Musculoskeletal Patient Leaflets
You can access a range of patient leaflets on the RJAH website (including Achilles Tendinopathy, Plantar Fasciitis, Acute Tibalis Posterior Tendonitis (Medial Ankle Pain), Hallux Valgus (Bunion) and Metatarsalgia).
- Bronchiolitis guidelines
- Clinical assessment tool for use with paediatric pathways
- Gastroenteritis in children under 5
- Wheezing in children under 2 years
- Wheezing in children over 2 years
Respiratory Viral Nose and Throat Swab Procedure
Shropshire Diabetes Guidelines
NHS Shropshire CCG guidelines for the management of type 2 diabetes (for more supporting documents go to the Endocrine drug formulary section)
Value Based Commissioning Policies
(formerly Policy for Procedures of Limited Clinical Value)
- Please see our Commissioning Policies page.