Prescription Ordering Direct (POD) service update
There is currently an external telephone issue affecting the Prescription Ordering Direct (POD) service. Work is underway to resolve this as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Top tips for sun safety
The sun is out and the weather is hot - and it looks like temperatures are set to rise further across Shropshire over the next day or two.
Below please find some top ways for staying safe when the heat arrives:
- look out for others, especially older people, young children and babies and those with underlying health conditions
- close curtains on rooms that face the sun to keep indoor spaces cooler and remember it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
- drink plenty of water as sugary, alcoholic and caffeinated drinks can make you more dehydrated
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
- walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat, if you have to go out in the heat
- avoid physical exertion in the hottest parts of the day
- wear light, loose fitting cotton clothes
- make sure you take water with you if you are travelling
Where to get medical help and advice for sunburn
Remember you don't always need to visit a GP for sunburn - a Pharmacist can offer over-the-counter treatments and free advice for mild sunburn (such as aftersun products, calamine lotion, and painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen, to help ease the pain/reduce inflammation caused by sunburn).
However do seek medical help if you feel unwell or the skin swells badly or blisters. Stay out of the sun until all signs of redness have gone.
The self-care area of our website contains a 'Sunburn, Sunscreen, and Sun safety' section with useful information on sunburn (including advice on self-care treatments and when to seek medical help), general details about sun safety for children and adults, plus handy links to advice on choosing the right sunscreen.
Visit the 'Sunburn, Sunscreen, and Sun safety' page for more information.