Please note, this is our interim website. Some content may not be available however if you need assistance, please contact us.
Plan ahead for the early May Bank Holiday to make sure you keep well over the long weekend
This weekend - Friday 28 April to Monday 1 May - is early May Bank Holiday weekend, so here are some top tips to help make sure you and your families stay well.
- Plan ahead: Check your daily mediation to make sure have enough to last over the bank holiday weekend. Running out of daily medication could have serious consequences for those who rely on drugs to help control a condition or illness.
- GP surgery opening times: Find out when your GP surgery is open and order any necessary repeat prescriptions in advance, so you can collect them before the weekend and have them to hand. Patients can also call the out-of-hours GP service, Shropdoc, when their own surgery is closed on 0333 222 66 55.
- Think Pharmacist First: Remember your local Pharmacist can give you advice on the best treatment or medication to so you can treat minor ailments at home.
- Self-help: Aches, pains and colds can often be effectively treated at home with readily available medicine such as pain relief, cough mixture and cold remedies. So, it’s important to make sure your medicine cabinet at home is well stocked and contains sufficient over-the-counter medicines from your pharmacist to treat minor ailments.
- Stings and Bites: Prevent stings and bites by covering up and applying insect repellent. Take care especially in the late afternoon and early evening, as insects can become more active as the temperature cools. If you are bitten, consult your pharmacist for advice.
Dr Julian Povey, Chair of NHS Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said:
“By planning ahead and following these simple tips in the lead up to the Bank Holiday weekend, you can help stay well.
“However, if you become unwell and need advice or medical treatment quickly, then you should call NHS 111 or Shropdoc on 0333 222 66 55. NHS111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. By calling NHS 111 you will be assessed, given advice and directed straightaway to the local service that can best meet your needs."
Pharmacy opening times for Shropshire & Telford over the Bank Holiday weekend are available to view here - AFA_6319_Shropshire & Telford May Bank Holiday Opening Times_Final.pdf [pdf] 28KB