For information

Please note, this is our interim website. Some content may not be available however if you need assistance, please contact us.

Don't show me this again


How to access services

Opticians carry out tests on your eyes in order to check the quality of your sight and look for signs of eye disease which may need treatment from a doctor or eye surgeon.  They also prescribe and fit spectacles (glasses) and contact lenses.  They can give you advice on types of lens, such as single vision or bifocal, and help you to choose frames.

There are three types of optician: Optometrists (also called ophthalmic opticians), Ophthalmic Medical Practitioner (OMP) and dispensing opticians.

No referral or registration is required; contact your local optician to book an appointment or visit the NHS Choices website to search for a local optician in your area.

Will I need to pay for these services?

You are entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:

Partial help: if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate you might get some help towards the cost of a private sight test.

NHS optical vouchers

You can get vouchers towards the costs of spectacles or contact lenses if you:

Partial help: if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate you might get some help.

If your spectacles or contact lenses cost more than your voucher value, you will have to pay the difference.

NHS vouchers for repair or replacement of spectacles or contact lenses

You can get vouchers if you are under 16 years old.  If you are 16 years of age or older, conditions apply.

Additional Information

For more detailed information about getting help with health costs, please follow the links on the right side of this page.  Leaflets are also available at Jobcentre Plus offices or NHS hospitals, and possibly from your doctor, dentist or optician.